MS Address Standards Update

hfeather

MS Address Standards Update

Post by hfeather » Thu May 14, 2020 5:35 pm

Hello All,

I hope all are well and thriving through this time of uncertainty. Though most of us are working remotely from home, I wanted to give a brief update on the addressing schema that was presented at the last council meeting (honestly, that seems so long ago). Most were asked to review it and provide feedback on it. I'm not sure how much feedback if any were given (again, it's been a few months now. I can't even remember what I ate yesterday for lunch while quarantined). As time continues to march on, more and more counties are requesting the assistance of the GIS community to help them manage the murky waters of NG-911 implementation. Some counties are beginning the transitional phase between NG-911 and Legacy based Public Service Answering Points (PSAPs) as CAD vendors push to bridge the gap between old and new technologies. With that being said, I think it would be advisable to employ what we have as the state schema for address points, road centerlines, and the other listed boundaries that are related to NG-911. At the very least, we should have folks converting their schemas to the standard for address points and road centerlines. Complacency and hesitancy are no longer viable excuses NOT to carry out this request due to the sensitive nature that NG-911 is coming! In some aspects, it's already here! We can't "kick the can" down the road any longer so to speak. I don't think anyone wants outside entities deciding on what those standards should be. It should be left up to the GIS Council and the GIS professionals in this state to make that decision.
Need I not remind everyone that consensus to adhere to a standard was welcomed heartily several years back at the GIS Conference.
Many of you, like myself, do truly welcome the idea of standards but don't want to take the time to build it out (meticulous work). I am willing to fall on that sword for all and build a MS standards schema geodatabase to be downloaded and utilized by all. It will be made available at MARIS once it has been reviewed and approved. I don't see anyone objecting to this idea but I welcome feedback and dialogue on this topic.

Best Regards.